Close Menu
Technology Mag

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot
    Valve’s Steam Deck OLED will be ‘intermittently’ out of stock because of the RAM crisis

    Valve’s Steam Deck OLED will be ‘intermittently’ out of stock because of the RAM crisis

    February 16, 2026
    Apple starts testing end-to-end encrypted RCS messages on iPhone

    Apple starts testing end-to-end encrypted RCS messages on iPhone

    February 16, 2026
    Apple’s Podcasts app will let you ‘seamlessly’ switch between audio and video shows

    Apple’s Podcasts app will let you ‘seamlessly’ switch between audio and video shows

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Subscribe
    Technology Mag
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Games
    • Gear
    • Reviews
    • Science
    • Security
    • Trending
    • Press Release
    Technology Mag
    Home » Trump’s Plan to Leave the WHO Is a Health Disaster
    Science

    Trump’s Plan to Leave the WHO Is a Health Disaster

    News RoomBy News RoomJanuary 24, 20253 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit WhatsApp Email
    Trump’s Plan to Leave the WHO Is a Health Disaster

    In the summer of 2020, 15 recognized leaders in US public health gathered to author an article in The Lancet—one of the world’s most eminent medical journals—decrying Donald Trump’s intention to withdraw the US from the World Health Organization, a decision that was later reversed by President Biden before it took effect.

    Nearly five years later, one of the opening salvos of Trump’s second term has been to again initiate the process of withdrawing the US from the WHO. The move is already drawing both controversy and the threat of legal challenges.

    According to a 1948 joint resolution passed by both houses of Congress, any such withdrawal requires the US to provide the WHO with one year’s notice, but it appears that Trump’s intentions are to withdraw immediately and do so without seeking congressional approval.

    “The executive order announces the immediate withdrawal from WHO, and he’s not seeking congressional authorization, and he’s also not giving the required one year’s notice,” says Lawrence Gostin, a professor in public health law at Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, DC, and one of the coauthors of the 2020 Lancet article. “In my view, this is reckless and it’s lawless, and it needs to be challenged in court.”

    Trump has a long history of criticizing the WHO, previously accusing the organization of being “corrupt,” ripping off America, and “severely mismanaging and covering up” the spread of Covid-19. The US has historically been one of the WHO’s largest funders, with some estimates suggesting that it provides a fifth of the organization’s entire budget. Between 2022 and 2023, the US provided the WHO with nearly $1.3 billion.

    However, Gostin and others are particularly concerned about the impacts of a US withdrawal on the country’s ability to manage the ongoing threat of infectious diseases. While the WHO has a far-reaching remit, ranging from advice on essential medicines to public policy recommendations on everything from tobacco and drug use to road safety, it is arguably most impactful when it comes to the surveillance of potentially problematic new diseases, such as bird flu, and coordinating an international response.

    “Withdrawing from WHO makes us more alone, more vulnerable, and more fragile in the world,” says Gostin. “You can’t shut down a border against a pathogen. We need WHO to be on the ground to put out fires before they get to the United States. And we also need WHO’s vast network to provide us with the information about mutations and viruses that we need to develop life-saving vaccines and medical treatments.”

    According to Sten Vermund, chief medical officer of the Global Virus Network and another coauthor of The Lancet article, what happens next depends on the reactions of other countries and nongovernment organizations such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the World Bank, and Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, which all provide the WHO with significant funding. After Trump cut US contributions to the WHO to $680 million in 2020–21, Germany responded by quadrupling its contributions to more than $1 billion. The Danish government also agreed to double its contributions, placing a strong emphasis on improving sexual and reproductive health and tackling the rise of non-communicable diseases.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Email
    Previous ArticleThe $900 Ayaneo 3 is the most exciting PC handheld the company’s yet made
    Next Article Windows 11 is getting colorful new battery icons that are easier to understand at a glance

    Related Posts

    A Startup Says It Has Found a Hidden Source of Geothermal Energy

    A Startup Says It Has Found a Hidden Source of Geothermal Energy

    December 8, 2025
    A Fentanyl Vaccine Is About to Get Its First Major Test

    A Fentanyl Vaccine Is About to Get Its First Major Test

    December 6, 2025
    The Oceans Are Going to Rise—but When?

    The Oceans Are Going to Rise—but When?

    December 6, 2025
    Thursday’s Cold Moon Is the Last Supermoon of the Year. Here’s How and When to View It

    Thursday’s Cold Moon Is the Last Supermoon of the Year. Here’s How and When to View It

    December 4, 2025
    The Data Center Resistance Has Arrived

    The Data Center Resistance Has Arrived

    December 4, 2025
    Boeing’s Next Starliner Flight Will Be Allowed to Carry Only Cargo

    Boeing’s Next Starliner Flight Will Be Allowed to Carry Only Cargo

    December 4, 2025
    Our Picks
    Apple starts testing end-to-end encrypted RCS messages on iPhone

    Apple starts testing end-to-end encrypted RCS messages on iPhone

    February 16, 2026
    Apple’s Podcasts app will let you ‘seamlessly’ switch between audio and video shows

    Apple’s Podcasts app will let you ‘seamlessly’ switch between audio and video shows

    February 16, 2026
    Let’s talk about Ring, lost dogs, and the surveillance state

    Let’s talk about Ring, lost dogs, and the surveillance state

    February 16, 2026
    Apple’s doing something on March 4th

    Apple’s doing something on March 4th

    February 16, 2026
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss
    Switch 2 pricing and next PlayStation release could be impacted by memory shortage News

    Switch 2 pricing and next PlayStation release could be impacted by memory shortage

    By News RoomFebruary 16, 2026

    Sony and Nintendo are reportedly feeling squeezed by RAM shortages as demand from AI data…

    A Star is born

    A Star is born

    February 16, 2026
    Samsung ad confirms rumors of a useful S26 ‘privacy display’

    Samsung ad confirms rumors of a useful S26 ‘privacy display’

    February 16, 2026
    After spooking Hollywood, ByteDance will tweak safeguards on new AI model

    After spooking Hollywood, ByteDance will tweak safeguards on new AI model

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of use
    • Advertise
    • Contact
    © 2026 Technology Mag. All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.